RAWKIN’ SALADS CREATIONS
Created by: Silvia Rocca @ www.silviarocca.com
RAWKIN’ SALAD FORMULA
CHOOSE A BASE:
- brown rice
- brown rice noodles
- romaine, field greens, spinach, baby kale (or combinations of each)
CHOOSE A PROTEIN:
- roasted chicken or turkey
- cooked beans (black beans, chickpeas, any bean will do)
- hard boiled eggs
- grilled marinated tofu or tempeh
- baked falafels
- fish (baked or canned salmon or tuna; grilled scallops or calamari)
- grass fed beef, thinly sliced
ADD SPECIAL TOPPINGS:
- cooked beans
- roasted sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts
- roasted peppers, grilled mushrooms
- roasted or shredded raw beets, red cabbage
- diced avocados, olives, cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumbers
- sliced green apples, strawberries, sliced mango, figs
- red onions, green onions, sweet corn, shredded carrots, diced celery
- kimchi, sauerkraut
- baked tortilla chips, roasted chickpeas (for the crunch factor!)
- fresh herbs (parsley, basil, cilantro)
- sprouts (alfalfa, bean sprouts, mustard, cress)
- nuts and seeds (almonds, walnuts, cashews, sesame)
- Tahini, Honey Dijon, Balsamic, Green Goddess, Miso Citrus, Teriyaki. (Adding garlic, turmeric, ginger to your salad dressings will bring warmth to your salads so that you can have them all year long).
RAWKIN’ ROMAINE ROASTED VEGGIE SALAD RECIPE
Recipe inspired by The Minimalist Baker’s “Abundant Kale Salad”
- 1 large head of red romaine salad, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 cup of shredded raw cabbage or brussel sprouts
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa (you can cook ahead of time)
- 4 hard boiled eggs (you can substitute another protein source – see list above)
- 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds (optional)
For Simple Tahini Dressing:
- 1/3 cup of tahini (aka. ground sesame seeds)
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons (or more) of water to thin
Place all ingredients in bowl and whisk to combine. You can use blender for a smoother desired consistency.
HERE’S HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a lined baking sheet, drizzle coconut oil (melt on stovetop if coconut oil is in a solid state), salt, pepper and any favourite spices on your sliced sweet potato, zucchini and shredded cabbage. Roast for 20-30 mins until tender. Keep a watchful eye so they don’t burn.
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa according to package directions. Similar to cooking rice (2:1 ratio of water to grain). Tip: You can make a big batch and save leftovers in refrigerator for up to 5 days for future salad creations.
- Add 4 eggs in saucepan covered with water. Boil for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool and remove shell. Slice boiled eggs in half.
- Once your vegetables are done roasting, quinoa is cooked and eggs are boiled, assemble your romaine lettuce in a bowl. Add your roasted veggies, cooked quinoa along the side of the salad bowl. Top salad with halved eggs and hemp seeds. (Add any additional toppings you desire).
- Drizzle whole salad with Tahini dressing.
Vegetables are loaded with fibre which supports healthy digestion and a slimming waistline, since fibre allows us to stay full for longer periods of time. Roasting the vegetables adds a warmth to your salads for the colder seasonal months. Adding adequate sources of protein and healthy fats to your salads will turn this side dish into a meal replacement.
What’s your favourite way to have a salad?